Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bows n’ Bubbles


I should have cut my nails short last week – if I keep them long too many weeks in a row, the end gets thin and they start breaking, but never at the tip. They always break below the tips of my finger, so I have to wait for the break to “grow out” before I can cut it off. Short nails would have been more convenient last week too, and not just for the serious gardening we did over the weekend (that resulted in the breakage of three nails below the fingertip line). I adore long nails, and the way mine grow it doesn’t take long, but there are times when it’s handy to have them shorter too.

In any case, I finally got around to a manicure at 10pm last night, so not a lot of creativity flowing then, but I think they still turned out pretty well, aside from the bubbles you see on my ring finger there.

What I used:

1 coat Zoya Anchor
3 coats each of Essie Cap Ferrat (the gray “mushroomy” color) and Essie Tea and Crumpets (the pale pearl pink) on every other nail.
1 coat Zoya Armour to set the stones
1 coat Zoya Armour to seal

When my fingernails break below the fingertip like that, I simply remove the old polish, cut my nails way back (to diminish the risk of pulling at the break), file the edges and buff the top smooth (especially over the break), and then re-polish with an extra coat of nail color to sort of “glue” things together until they grow out enough to cut through the break. The polishes I chose worked perfectly for this, since both needed 3 coats to get an opaque color on the nail.

Something bright and eye-catching next week, I think…

No comments: