Saturday, February 16, 2013

Broken Hearts - What Not To Do

I know, I know. I should probably just rename this blog "Nail Art Saturday", but it's been Tuesday so long I wouldn't know what to do with that...

This week has been a bad nail week for me. It all started with a bad break when my hand slipped off a door handle while I was running errands last weekend:
I tell you what - the nerves in the tip of the finger are *not* to be messed with. Seven days later, it still hurts on and off...and naturally I'm still bashing it against random things because I'm used to having a long, protective nail there. It's even sore while typing (because normally my nails are so long I type with them, rather than my fingers). I'd highly *not* recommend this experience! Incidentally, in the "nerves are strange" category, whenever I set the nerves off in my poor pinky finger, my middle and ring fingers on that hand start aching too, from the tips to the first knuckle. Ow!

I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with the foils I wanted to try on that nail, so I'd already decided to just polish that one and use the foils on the others.
They're rather pretty, but I had a bad feeling as soon as I realized that they were full nail stickers, rather than thin foils. I don't typically have good luck with full nail stickers, as it takes a lot of work to get the wrinkles out. And my fingers were already hurting. But I tried one thumb, hoping maybe these would go on easily:

 Like I said, pretty, but wrinkly. I wasn't really in the mood to mess with it, so I took that off, cleaned off the adhesive, and decided to just polish with heart rhinestones instead.

I used my favorite dark gray - OPI's "Brand New Skates" for the basic color, with  Zoya's "Blair", a dark wine red (not shown) for the undersides. I placed a row of heart rhinestones down the center of each nail, but realized my Seche Vite top coat brush was stiff and basically unusable. So I used Sephora by OPI (or the other way around?) top coat, which was my second (third? fifth?) mistake of the day.

The rhinestones didn't even make it twenty-four hours before they started falling off. To add insult to injury, my top coat bubbled. *sigh* So today, my poor nails look like this:
So you see why I wasn't exactly feeling the blog post last Tuesday? I really don't have time during the week to do anything with nails, so I was pretty much stuck. At least today my pinky nail is almost grown out enough to cover the raw parts of my finger...so hopefully I'm nearly done with the whole serious pain/sensitivity part. 



I'm not sure what I'll do with 'em tonight, but I'll soak the Seche Vite brush in polish remover so I can at least use a good top coat again. With any luck, I'll have something far nicer to show off next Tuesday...

Until then, happy polishing...and watch out for those slippery door handles!


4 comments:

Quixii said...

Ouch! That does look painful, you poor thing.

Unknown said...

omg I HATE THIS ;\


OXOX
http://cutenails-art.blogspot.com/2013/02/little-apples-nail-art.html

Nail Art said...

Very nice nail design. It looks so cute. Very creative of you.

Wendy said...

Oh my gosh, that looks so painful! So happy i stumbled across your blog, new follower here! :)