Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Magnetic Silver & Burgundy


Look what I got! The folks at Sally Hansen were kind enough to send me a complimentary set of the new Magnetic polishes, and man, these are cool. I'll show the whole set next week, but this week, I just wanted to get a quick manicure done, and this worked great. Nail art really doesn't get any easier than this...

 For this week's manicure, I used "Red-y-Response" (which is not red, it's more burgundy/fuschia, and the color in the photos below is pretty true to what I see), and "Silver Elements", which is a great silver all on it's own, but when the magnet pulls the sparklies up, it's stunning.

 So the way these work is, there's a larger cap over the normal polish cap. In the top of that outer cap is the magnetic plate, and there's a slight ridge on top to rest on your finger just below your cuticle to put the magnet at the right height above your nail. My picture isn't very good - I'll make sure to get a better one next week.
 I started with two coats of each color on alternating nails over one coat of base coat, just like normal. This formula is easy to control and very nice to work with, but the silver, as with all metallics, gets a bit splotchy if you're not careful.
 To get the magnetic effect, I just brushed on one more thicker coat, and then held the magnet over the nail for 10 seconds. I rotated the cap a bit to get the sides of my nails too, since they're so curvy. Worked great!
I did the silver nails first, and then the burgundy. I did make a few mistakes (accidentally touching the magnet to the polish, which just screwed up the polish like putting anything in it would), but overall it was very quick and easy. I'd like to experiment a little more with moving the magnet around, to see if I can make different designs...
Two coats of top coat, clean up, and voila! Awesome nails in a relatively short order. Perfect for those 2am manicure nights. :-)
Next week, I'll showcase the whole set and see if I can't do something different with the magnetic effects...

Until then, happy polishing!

2 comments:

S said...

I'm not really into magnetics but these are some of the best pictures I've seen, the effect is really strong and the polish colours are gorgeous :)

C R Ward said...

So cool Jamie! If I could stand having my nails longer than a couple of millimetres, I'd definitely use this polish on them. :-)